BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, February 22, 2008

Whatever!

With another winter weekend on tap, I plan to spend the majority of my time over the next few days in the warm and comfy confines of my apartment.



You see, I'm quite excited to get started on a new book I picked-up the other day, and I want to make a big dent in it, or maybe even finish it before the weekend is out.



I tried doing this very thing with a book my Mum lent me a few weeks ago. It's a massive, hardcover story that's got to be about 15-hundred pages by the look of it.



My Mum told me a bit about the story set in India about different families and their never-ending quest to find the perfect spouse for their kids to marry and reproduce with. And I was very eager to start tackling the mountain of pages, until I opened it up to start reading and realized this was going to be a marathon for my eyes.



Not because there were so many words to conquer, but because they were so crammed together!



Page after page, after page, all I could see was a sea of black with only white around the edges. I'm not kidding you when I say this writer and their editor clearly never read this book in its printed version, because the font was so damn small and there were no spaced paragraphs to break it up!



The fact the reader has to lug this 10-pound book around is bad enough, the least they can do is make it legible! That is common sense, isn't it?



I get that it's expensive to print books. The cost of ink and paper for a 15-hundred page novel has got to be atrocious, but let's get real here, if I can't read your book in the first place, what's the point of publishing it?!



Honestly, with what seems like fewer and fewer people bothering to read books in the first place, a move like this is bad business for the publishing industry and I'll warn them now, if I ever find the courage to crack this book open again, you better believe I'm sending you the bill for my new eye-glasses!





But Whatever!




You can hear Ruby Jones' Whatever rants live Tuesday-Friday during the Morning Show at 7:50, on the New Flow 93.5. Or check out the podcast at www.flow935.com!

0 comments: